Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Now to jump right in...

Today my focus is on food. I have been pinning at Pinterest, probably more than I should…but I have gotten so much inspiration. And that is truly what it is there for right? So here are my projects for the day and I will add pictures where I can, but please don’t judge the blog by the pictures. I will also update progress on this post throughout the day.

1. Meatloaf for dinner (My own recipe adapted from what I can remember from childhood) Big success. My normal recipe makes two big loaves of meatloaf but tonight we did one big loaf and 17 personal sized meat loaves in the muffin pan.

Meat Loaf Recipe

3 lbs ground beef
1 lb ground pork
7 slices of bread (I used 4 slices Italian and 3 slices whole wheat)
1 1/3 cups milk
3 eggs
1/2 of large onion chopped
1 Tbl. Salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp savory

Mix all ingredients together and spread in ungreased loaf pan. (I did spray the muffin tin) Or put smaller amounts in muffin pan to fill each muffin section.

Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven. Loaf pan 1 1/2 hours, muffin pan 30 - 45 minutes.

During last 10 minutes of cooking top with topping of your choice. Serve with topping of your choice.

Toppings: DH likes just Ketchup, I like A-1 sauce mixed with ketchup, mustard and a little Worcestershire sauce, GK made a new one tonight with Ketchup and Sriracha sauce. We have also used BBQ sauce. You can do whatever your family likes.

2. Found this on Pinterest - Crock Pot Peach Cobbler adapted from a recipe on Get Crocked

My Adaptation Recipe: Just so you know I usually adapt recipes that I find. We have a big family and teen/young adult kids so usually we need more than the recipes I find. Also I try to use what we have on hand. For this recipe it was not fresh peach season so canned peaches were an easy alternative.

Crock Pot Peach Cobbler for 6 quart Crock Pot

1/2 c. all-purpose baking mix, such as Bisquick
2/3 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 12oz. can evaporated milk
2 Tbs. butter, melted
4 eggs
1 - 29oz. can peach pieces in light syrup, mashed
4 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon

Drain peaches and mash. I use my hand blender to blend/mash but not liquify the peaches.
Lightly grease crock pot or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine sugar and baking mix. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir. (I use my hand mixer on lowest speed.)
Pour in margarine and milk and stir.
Mix in peaches and cinnamon, until well mixed.
Pour into crock pot. Cover. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Serve warm. Top with vanilla ice cream if desired, or half and half.

Update: The cobbler is done and it took 8 hours on low. It looks delicious and tastes divine. BC says he could eat it until the end of time... LOL

Here it is in the pot pre-cooking:


And done:




3. Oatmeal/Milk Chocolate Chip cookies (my own recipe)

This is a recipe I have been using for years. It makes a very large bowl of dough. We cook one batch of a dozen cookies after making the dough and then the rest goes in the refrigerator so we can have hot fresh cookies whenever we want. At our house they only last about 3 - 5 days. Note: The first batch may seem a little wet and the cookies may spread a bit. However after a day in the fridge they are just right. The oatmeal soaks up some of the moisture and that is why I make them the way I do. If you are going to cook the whole batch right away you would probably want to increase the flour by about 1/2 cup.

Oatmeal/Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 cups shortening
2 C. sugar
2 C. packed brown sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
1/3 C. milk

Cream all these ingredients together in a large bowl.

In separate bowl combine:

4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

Add:

6 cups whole oats (old fashioned)
1 cup milk chocolate chips (you can add more chocolate chips but we don't like too many) Add the oats 2 cups at a time and mix in well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes in 350 degree oven.







4. Antibacterial Spray I found on Pinterest and it took me to this site. (http://www.macheesmo.com/2011/01/four-homemade-cleaners/)

Lavender Anti-Bacterial Spray
- 1 Cup water
- 20 drops lavender essential oil

Easy right?! It’s smells great and lavender is very high in
linalool which is naturally antibacterial.

Of course I adapted this just a bit. I used 2 cups of water and 40 drops of Lavendar essential oil. And wouldn't you know it I did not have an extra spray bottle...so I mixed it in the water bottle the water came in and have added "pick up spray bottles" to my To Do List.

Here is my semi-finished product:



Update:  11/17/2011
I found spray bottles today at Walmart for .97 each.  WooHoo!!  I will be making the rest of my soaps tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.  I also purchased two squeeze bottles.  One of the cleaners comes out really thick and so the suggestion was a squeeze bottle.  It will be fun to put it all together.  :D
I definitely need to learn how to do all the things that make this blog look professional :( I struggled with formatting and pictures but there is lots to read and I am sure I will figure it out for next time.

Amira Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment